Did you know?
- 13 million students will be bullied in the United States this year.
- 1 in 4 students will be bullied, and 1 in 3 will be cyberbullied.
- Research shows that in over half of bullying situations (57%), when someone intervenes, the bullying stops within 10 seconds.
October is National Bullying Prevention Month, and MBF believes every child deserves to be safe from child victimization, including bullying. These statistics show why we need to bring attention to bullying and promote kindness, acceptance, and inclusion. Bullying is preventable, but it takes everyone’s commitment to recognize and respond to it and consistent education and intervention to prevent it.
The MBF team has developed a Bullying Prevention Month Toolkit, a curated kit of resources to help you celebrate Bullying Prevention Month and cultivate a culture of kindness in your school. While one lesson or activity will not end bullying, using this toolkit as part of a broader plan to help reduce bullying is a great start. Please feel free to share this toolkit with your teachers, colleagues, and other school staff!
Research shows bullying CAN be stopped, but true change requires consistent education and intervention. Below are lesson plans for educators to help create a culture of kindness and safety in your school. Educators and prevention specialists at MBF developed these bullying prevention lesson plans for use during the month of October (National Bullying Prevention Month) to help prevent and stop bullying. These lessons are easy to implement and can be delivered to students by classroom teachers.
Activities for Students
- Safety Spirit Week Activity – Organize a Safety Spirit Week with these fun daily activities for youth in your school. Send the flyer home to parents/caregivers with dates listed to allow time for students to prepare to participate.
- Anti-Bullying Pledge – This is a fun activity to help cultivate a culture of kindness in your classrooms. Use the information provided in the lesson plans or with the Student Upstander Cards to teach students about bullying and the importance of being an upstander, and then have students complete the pledge. If you have space available, consider displaying the signed pledges in your classroom or hallway.
- Student Upstander Cards – Student Upstander Cards are a great way to encourage youth to stand up against bullying and spread kindness.
- Kindness Bingo – To encourage acts of kindness, introduce Kindness Bingo to youth early in the month. Allow them to X out the boxes as they complete acts of kindness. Consider rewarding students who get a Bingo on their card.
- Coloring Sheets
Printable posters (8.5” by 11”)
- MBF 5 Safety Rules – Printable Poster
- Spread Kind Vibes Pull-Tab Flyer
RESOURCES for STAFF
Ready-Made Social Media Posts
These social media posts are designed to help your school/organization spread the word about Bullying Prevention Month and the resources available. These captions and links can be posted on your organization’s website and social channels and may be customized for your community.
- 2022 Bullying Prevention Month Toolkit
- October 2021 Lesson Plans: Grades K-2 | Grades 3-5 | Grades 6-8 | Grades 9-12
- October 2020 Lesson Plans: Grades K-2 | Grades 3-5 | Grades 6-8 | Grades 9-12
- Safety Matters Song
Paid by OAG, GR-2023-Monique Burr Foundation for Children-00020